Saturday, January 12, 2013

Surgery Booked

My first appointment of the day yesterday was with  with the new radiation oncologist. Dr. Horton was really nice and I liked her.. She states that I would start radiation about 6 weeks after my surgery. The radiation will be at Duke in Durham and it is every day for 6 weeks 5 days a week so it will be a little rough and going to work afterwards but it will all be worth it in the end.  
The second appointment was with the breast surgeon Dr. Greenup . We went over the surgery and I signed the consult papers for February 27th. So it is all set. They will do the left breast mastectomy and the hysterectomy on that day and should be in surgery for about 4 hours so it will be a long day. I will only be in the hospital overnight. I am happy for that. At least I get to come home and recover here. I will have drains in me for about 7 to 10 days. I will be out of work for about 6 weeks.
The third appointment was with the plastic surgeon Dr. Holienbeck. He said I can have the TRAM Flap surgery. I am happy about that. Yes it will be a longer recovery time about  5 days in the hospital and then about 6 weeks at home. The reconstruction will not be until about 6 months after the end of radiation so I am looking at end of October early November for the reconstruction. That will be about a 6 month time frame from start to finish.
So it looks like this whole breast cancer thing will last about a year and a half time in total. It is going to be a long road to recovery but it will be all worth it in the end.
Two more Chemotherapy treatments and then my preop stuff at Duke. February will be a very busy month for me between appointments and work but I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment