Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Health Insurance

When I lived in NY I never gave much thought about going to the doctor or having health insurance. I had it always through my job I paid my co-pay and went along life.
Fast forward to 2010 when I had no insurance and was pregnant..I knew that I would have to have a c-section since I had on with Tyler. I was starting a new job and in NC a pregnancy was considered a pre existing cause. Okay what do I do now? So I went down to DSS my very first experience. It was okay but not very pleasant. They told me they could give me insurance through Medicaid and would also cover Tyler. I was very grateful to have insurance again but now it was time to find a doctor who would accept Medicaid for me. I did find one eventually and was able to be seen by the doctor. My pregnancy at that point turned into a miscarriage and I stop the Medicaid for me but for Tyler he would be covered until I got health insurance on my own. Since I had just started a new job I knew that would not be much longer.
Insurance has changed over the years and I was not that knowledgeable at that point I picked an insurance company and instead of co-pay I now had a 20% coinsurance and a deductible. I had no idea what this meant.
Fast forward again to 2012 I am very grateful that I had insurance when I found my lump. But it also meant that I would have to pay out a lot in co-pays. Thousands of dollars. I will be paying for a very long time. I am trying to work with the many different labs and doctors for the co-pay’s.
Now in 2013 I am much for insurance savvy (not really) My Company offered a high deductible plan with a $5,000 deductible for the family. Okay this would be good for us. Knowing already that I would reach that with my first chemotherapy treatment, the cancer center where I am currently at has given me financial aid for anything that my insurance does not cover.
That being said it took me 17 days! Yes only 17 days to reach my deductible for the year. I am so happy about this and it has been a great relief for me. Every day I thank God I have insurance. I am also very grateful for any financial aid I have received so far. I still have a very long road ahead of me and there will be many doctor appointments over the next five years but it will be all worth it in the end. I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment